• A Cervical Smear test is an important part of maintaining health for all women who have ever been sexually active. Some women may find the smear test uncomfortable or embarrassing and so may put off having one.
• This examination only takes a few minutes and could save your life.
• Annual smear tests reduce your risk of Cervical Cancer by 92%
• In the UK alone it is estimated to save 1000 lives each year
• 80-90% of abnormalities are detected through regular smear tests, and can be treated early to Prevent Cancer
The following article has been provided by Medilink, a FREE health advise and guidance service that enables all expats in Spain to access qualified staff for any enquiry they have in relation to health.
WHAT IS A SMEAR TEST?
In a Private room with a female nurse we will ask you to lie on an examination couch with a blanket over you. You will be asked to lie in position with you feet together and knees apart and a disposable plastic speculum will be inserted into your vagina. This holds the walls of the vagina open so your cervix can be seen. We will then use a tiny brush or spatula to gently scrape off a sample of your cervical cells. These cells are then smeared onto a glass slide to be sent to the laboratory. The speculum is then removed, with minimal discomfort within those few minutes.
WHEN IS IT BEST TO DO A SMEAR TEST?
The Department of Health recommends women between the ages of 25 and 64 years of age, have routine smears. In our opinion all women that are sexually active need to be screened regardless of age. It is best to schedule your smear for the middle of your menstrual cycle as it is easiest to get a good sample at this time. If you are menstruating it may be too difficult for us to get an adequate sample, or if you think you may be pregnant it is best for us to know, and we can test for this.
HOW ARE THE RESULTS GIVEN AND WHAT DO THEY MEAN?
After 7 to 10 days you will be recalled to the clinic to discuss your results. If there are abnormal cell changes, you will be referred for a follow up appointment. If the cells are clear, you will wait another year before re booking unless you have any concerns in the meantime.
At Clinica Medicare all our cervical smear tests are performed by female nurses who are experienced in Women’s health. We use plastic speculums for your comfort; you can come in for a smear test only, or for a more comprehensive Health check, including ECG, bloods, and measurements. A Cervical Smear test costs just €50.00